"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it."
Norman Maclean

Saturday, November 11, 2006

The River Runs Today

The New Zealand River at full force
After such a long absence, it was indeed a very pleasant sight when we arrived. The River was flowing. As usual, Uncle Wong got his Peacock Bass first. I had other things in mind. Such conditions meant the sebaraus are around.

The Peacock Basses under such conditions are also hitting the fly hard and fighting even harder. Two spin fishermen were landing and releasing peacock basses like nothing. They were thoroughly enjoying themselves.

Then Qwek, Albert, Harvey and Huns arrived. I had the pleasure of casting Qwek’s South Bend Bamboo Rod. Very beautiful rod and I could even double haul with it.

Coffee and dry mee-kia at the Sembawang Food Centre as usual.


The fly in the throat of a Peacock Bass.


The River is running at full force today. The Valve Technician is working early.






My Jas Gordon Cave Bamboo Rod with the TeaStick Classic Reel




As usual, Uncle Wong hook the first fish.










Then I got mine. Bend the rod too.








This Peacock Bass hit the fly real hard and fight even harder.
The fly is stuck all the way in its throat.










Close up of a very colourful specimen.


Again, very ferocious and got the fly right up its throat.




Today, NZ is full of activity.




Albert, Harvey, Qwek, Huns. JimBoz..... where are you?



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a bizarre photo looking down that peacock throat!

I'd like to try a bamboo rod. But this hobby is expensive enough as it is, I'm afraid to try things I think I'll want to immediately purchase.

A Fly Fisherman said...

These Peacock Basses are such ferocious creatures when the water is running. We always have to really open its mouth to unhook the fly and release them unharm to fight another day.

You must really give bamboo a try. They're fantastic to fish with.

Anonymous said...

I realized I have not added a link to your blog from mine, I will do that today (Flyfishin'). Also, may I use one of those bright red tilapia photos on my site? I'll link back to yours of course. Amazing fish, I've never seen anything like it...

A Fly Fisherman said...

Go ahead and link it, Ed.
Thanks for the link.